Very healthy and vitamins and iron rich dish. Can have it as a curry with rice, can have it as a health drink/soup. A must dish with all Kerala sadya. A pretty good medicine for cough and cold!
- Toor dal- I tablespoon
- Tomato- 1 medium,diced
- Garlic- 4 pods, crushed
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilly powder-1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder- 1 teaspoon, or more
- Salt- 1 1/2 teaspoon, or more
- Coriander leaves- 6-10
- Water- 2 cups
- Thick Tamarind paste- 1 teaspoon or more,as required
- Ghee-1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Dried red chilly- 2
- Asafoetida powder- A pinch
- Pepper whole- 6
- Dried red chilly- 3
- Coriander seeds-5-6
- Grind the grinding ingredients to a fine powder.
- Pressure cook the toor dal, mash well and keep aside.
- Meanwhile boil water in a vessel , add the ground powder,red chilly powder,turmeric powder,pepper powder to it.
- When the water boils, add the crushed garlic, tomatoes, cover and cook.
- When the tomatoes blend well with water, add tamarind paste, mashed toor dal, salt, sprinkle coriander leaves, cover and cook for 10-15 mins on low flame.
- Heat the ghee in another pan, splutter mustard seeds, dried red chillies and season the rasam along with asafoetida powder.