Spicy and sour fish curry. Malabar special, easily prepared with limited ingredients. Love to have it with rice,dosa,puttu.
- Fish- 10 pieces
- Onion- 1 large
- Ginger- 1 inch piece
- Garlic- 3 pods
- Red chilly powder- 2 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- a pinch
- Salt-2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Tamarind- 1 teaspoon/ 4 kodampuli(I used paste since only that is available here)
- Curry leaves- 10
- Oil-2 tablespoon
- Marinate the fish pieces with 2 teaspoon chilly powder and 1 teaspoon salt for 1/2 hr.
- Grind the garlic,ginger along with chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the sliced onions and curry leaves and saute
- When they turn golden brown add the ground paste and fry for a min.
- Add 2 cups water,stir well on low flame.
- Add salt, tamarind paste, mix well.
- Cover and cook for a min.
- Add the fish pieces,cover and cook for 10 mins.
- Stir in between and cook till the gravy thickens.
Move to a serving bowl. Have it with rice/dosa.