Dont know why,but I does love the dried fish and prawns curries a lot. A good combination with rice/dosa/puttu. The unique flavour of fish mixed with the coconut gravy adds extra flavour.
- Dried Fish- 1/4 kg
- Tomato- 1, sliced
- Onion- 1 large, thinly sliced
- Green chillies- 2, slit
- Garlic- 4 pods, chopped
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder- 3-4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut,grated- 1 cup
- Curry leaves- A handful
- Tamarind paste(thick)- 3/4 teaspoon
- Water- as required
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Wash the dried fish well with water 2-3 times, to remove any extra salt present and drain( I used unsalted ones and hence omitted this step).
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the dry fishes remove and keep aside(If using unsalted ones, add 1/2 teaspoon salt while frying)
- To the same pan, add onion(Keep 1 teaspoon of onions, cubed aside), garlic and saute till soft.
- Add the green chillies, tomatoes and saute
- Add the red chilly powder,turmeric powder,salt,cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile Grind the grated coconut with little water to a very fine paste.
- Add the ground paste along with turmeric paste to the boiling onion base,stir well.
- Add the fried dry fishes and mix well.Add water if required
- Throw in the curry leaves.
- Cook covered in low flame for 10 mins.
- Check for the salt requirements and add more if required.
- Saute the cubed onions till dark brown
- Add them to the curry and mix well.
- Remove from fire and move onto a serving bowl.