Well my husband named it chutney chicekn because of the coconut chutney flavour! Actually I wanted to make a dark colored tempting chicken dish, but daydreaming mademe forget to roast ingredients before grinding and hence resulted in this, but we simply loved it. The thick gravy made it a lovely combo with rice, guess it would be equally gud with rotis too, n may b dosas!
- Chicken - 1/4 kg
- Onion- 1 , thinly sliced
- Tomato- 1 small, chopped
- Curry leaves- 8-10
- Mustard seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Coriander powder-3 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds- a pinch
- Cumin seeds- a pinch
- Cardamom- 1 pod
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch stick
- Dried red chillies-5
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt- 1-2 teaspoon, as required
- Oil-1 1/2 tablespoon
- Grind together 1/2 the sliced onions, ingredients 6-12 together to a thick paste(use little water if required)
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the onions and saute till soft
- Add the tomatoes, curry leaves and saute for a hwile
- Add the chicken pieces,salt and turmeric ,mix well
- Add the ground paste along with 1/2 cup water and mix well
- Cover and cook in low flame for 10 min or till chicken is cooked.
- Check for the salt and spice requirements.
- Cook in high flame for another 5-6 mins till the gravy becomes thick.
- Remove from fire and serve hot
- Enjoy !